The incidence of severe or fatal disease in children is significantly lower than in adults. Children at increased risk of more severe disease are predominantly those living with severe immunocompromise or with complex and/or multiple health conditions as described in the Starship Guidelines for COVID-19 in children (see eligibility list below).
The vaccine is Comirnaty (3mcg) 6m-4y maroon cap and it is now available for children at high risk of COVID.
- Chronic or congenital airway/lung issues including bronchiectasis, cystic fibrosis, BiPAP for OSA (not mild, controlled asthma)
- Complex congenital heart disease, acquired heart disease or congestive heart failure
- Diabetes (insulin-dependent)
- Chronic kidney disease (GFR <15 ml/min/1.73m2)
- Severe neurodisability including severe neuromuscular conditions
- Complex genetic, metabolic disease or multiple congenital anomalies including Trisomy 21
- Primary or acquired immunodeficiency
- Haematologic malignancy and post-transplant (solid organ or HSCT in last 24 months)
- On immunosuppressive treatment including chemotherapy, high-dose corticosteroids, biologics or DMARDS.
Find our full resource list on our COVID site here.