Who can receive funded Zostavax®?
Adults who turned 65 years on or after 1 April 2018
- There is no time limit for these adults to receive their funded Zostavax dose.
- There is no upper age limit for these adults to receive a funded Zostavax dose.
Adults who were aged 65 years before 1 April 2018 and who are still aged under 81 years have a limited catch-up immunisation programme *EXTENDED TO 31 DECEMBER 2020*
- There is a time limit and an age limit for these adults to receive a funded Zostavax dose.
- These adults can receive a funded Zostavax dose up to and including the 31 December 2020*, or they turn 81 years of age, whichever occurs first.
- *PHARMAC extended the duration of the catch-up programme in late 2019
Zostavax and annual influenza vaccination
- Annual influenza immunisation is recommended and funded for adults aged 65 years or over.
- One Zostavax is recommended for adults aged 65 years to under 80 years. This dose is also funded.
- Zostavax and influenza vaccine can be administered at the same visit.
- Zostavax is only given as a single dose – it IS NOT administered every year that an eligible adult receives their influenza vaccination.
- When Zostavax and an influenza vaccination are administered to an eligible adult at the same visit from 1 April through 31 December:
- The ability to claim an additional payment of $15 for administering Zostavax and influenza vaccines at the same visit that was introduced from 4 June 2018 will continue in 2019. Please contact your PHO on how to claim for these events.
Promotion of Zostavax and influenza vaccination at the same visit
For adults who were aged 66–80 years inclusively on 1 April 2018 and have not turned 81 years of age:
- This year will be the last year they can receive a Zostavax and an influenza vaccination at the same visit.
- These adults are only eligible to receive funded Zostavax up to and including the 31 December 2020.
Hormonal cancer treatments and Zostavax
The following hormonal cancer treatments do not cause immunosuppression:
Trade – Generic name
Generic – Trade name
|Arimidex – Anastrazole||Anastrazole – Arimidex|
|Bicalox – Bicalutamide||Bicalutamide – Bicalox|
|Mestane – Exemestane||Cyproterone – Procur, Siterone|
|Letara – Letrozole||Exemestane – Mestane|
|Letrole – Letrozole||Goserelin – Zolodex|
|Procur – Cyproterone||Letrozole – Letara, Letrole|
|Siterone – Cyproterone||Tamoxifen – Tamoxifen|
|Tamoxifen – Tamoxifen|
|Zolodex – Goserelin|