HBvaxPRO® 5 mcg strength vaccine
- Stock of the paediatric HBvaxPRO 5mcg/0.5mL vaccine for neonates and children is available at all ProPharma branches.
- Please ensure you note the change in dose and volume.
- Engerix-B 20mcg/1mL continues to be the hepatitis B vaccine available for adolescents aged 11–15 years following the two-dose schedule, with the second dose given 4–6 months after the first, and adults aged 20 years or older.
HBvaxPRO® 10 mcg strength vaccine is out of stock
- Stock is not expected to be available until later in 2019.
Engerix®-B 20 mcg replaces HBvaxPRO 10mcg as the funded hepatitis B vaccine for:
- Adolescents aged 11–15 years following the two-dose schedule, with the second dose given 4–6 months after the first, and
- Adults aged 20 years or older who meet the 'special groups' eligibility criteria.
Engerix-B 20mcg is used in the same manner as HBvaxPRO 10 mcg:
- The full dose of 20 mcg/mL is administered to eligible adolescents and adults.
- Do not attempt to administer less than the full dose provided in the pre-filled Engerix-B syringe.
There are no concerns about increased vaccine responses to Engerix-B 20 mcg
- Common, expected vaccine responses are similar for all hepatitis B vaccine strengths and include mild pain, redness and swelling around injection site, nausea or vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, decreased appetite.
Engerix-B 20 mcg can be used for the adolescent two-dose schedule
Based on safety and immunogenicity data supporting the interchangeability of vaccine brands, a two-dose course of Engerix-B 20 mcg can be considered for adolescents aged 11–15 years, with the second dose given 4–6 months after the first. This schedule is expected to provide the same level of protection as the two-dose HBvaxPRO 10 mcg schedule for adolescents.
HBvaxPRO® 40 mcg vaccine is out of stock in some areas
Two doses of Engerix-B 20 mcg administered at the same visit replace one dose of HBvaxPRO 40mcg when this vaccine is out of stock as the funded hepatitis B vaccine for:
- Adults aged 18 years or older who are on renal dialysis or who are liver or kidney transplant patients.
If HBvaxPRO 40mcg is out of stock in your area:
- Order two doses of Engerix-B 20 mcg/mL to replace one HBvaxPRO 40mcg dose
- Administer two doses of Engerix-B 20mcg/mL at the same visit using separate injection sites.
- Record the vaccination in the PMS immunisation section by selecting the DLK eligibility and recording the batch number, expiry date and injection site used for one dose and writing "Engerix-B 20mcg x 2 given" in the note section.
- Record the vaccination in the PMS clinical notes, explain that two Engerix-B 20mcg doses were co-administered because HBvaxPRO 40mcg was out of stock, record the details of both injection sites and, if they are different, both vaccine batch numbers and/or expiry dates.
Please refer to the Hepatitis B chapter in the Immunisation Handbook 2017 2nd Edition
- The updated Handbook is available on the Ministry of Health webpage: www.health.govt.nz/publication/immunisation-handbook-2017.
Information is also available on our HBvaxPRO vaccine page
Eligibility for funded hepatitis B vaccination