This course combines online learning and assessment with a face-to-face tutorial. The FLVFC is the coursework component for nurses and pharmacists wishing to become authorised or pharmacist vaccinators. (Additional requirements to attain authorisation are outlined in the Immunisation Handbook, Appendix 4.)
The FLVFC provides information and practical skills related to the safe and effective delivery of vaccines on the National Immunisation Schedule.
As prescribers, midwives and medical doctors need not be authorised to administer vaccines. These professional groups may still enrol in this course to gain greater understanding of vaccines and immunisation service delivery in Aotearoa/New Zealand.
• This is a requirement for attaining pharmacist or authorised vaccinator status.
• Arranging a venue to undertake the assessment is the responsibility of the course participant - neither IMAC nor local Immunisation Coordinators can arrange this. This assessment normally takes place in the vaccinator's workplace.
• It is recommended that you complete your clinical assessment within 6 months of completing the coursework.
• Current Annual Practising Certificate
• Knowledge and familiarity with the current Immunisation Handbook
• Pre-reading of the following Immunisation Handbook sections:
This course includes approximately 14–15* hours of online study, which can be completed at your own pace over multiple sessions if necessary. This is followed by a 3.5-hour classroom tutorial. You will then complete an online open-book assessment in your own time within a week of completing the coursework. Your certificate will be available online upon completion of all course requirements.
*Note that the estimated time is based on the core coursework – those not familiar with online learning may find it takes longer. Accessing suggested optional reading will increase the estimated time to complete.