Varilrix vaccine eligibility from 1 July
Varilrix on the routine Immunisation Schedule - One dose
- Children born on/after 1 April 2016 will be eligible to receive one funded varicella vaccine dose when they turn 15 months
- Children born on/after 1 April 2016 who have previously received one purchased varicella vaccine dose are eligible for one funded dose.
- Ensure the purchased varicella vaccine dose as administered a minimum of 4 weeks earlier before administering the Schedule Varilrix and M-M-R II doses.
- Children born 1 July 2006 to 31 March 2016 will not be eligible to receive a funded varicella vaccine dose until they turn 11 years of age IF they have not previously had chickenpox immunisation or disease (determined by clinical history, serology is NOT required).
- Children born before 1 July 2006 are not eligible for a funded varicella dose unless they meet the eligibility criteria for one of the ‘special groups’ described in the Pharmaceutical Schedule.
Practices can order Varilrix from ProPharma now so they are ready to administer routine Immunisation Schedule Varilrix from 1 July 2017.
Varilrix for eligible ‘special groups’ - Two doses
- Two funded vaccine doses will continue to be available for infants, children and adults who meet the eligibility criteria for one of the ‘special groups’ described in the Pharmaceutical Schedule.